Hi all! Now that I'm two months into motherhood, I thought I'd share some of my go-to items that have made raising this little girl much easier. Before we had Em, I was kind of intimidated about motherhood and the impending Ineedtokeepahumanalivenow
mentality. I had no idea how to take care of an infant - the little bit of babysitting I did when I was younger was with older kids. I was very nervous and wondered if I would get the "mother's instinct." What the heck was this supposed instinct that everyone talks about. What if I didn't get it? What if I was so super awkward and didn't catch on? Well, turns out no matter who you are or what you do, it will be super awkward at first. BUT, it's amazing how things happen and you just pick things up. There truly is this feeling where you would do anything for your baby and you just figure it out as you go.
Anyways, motherhood is wonderful and here are just a few items that make my life much easier these days!
1. Aden + Anais Swaddle Blankets
- These are my go to for everything. We use these for swaddling, as a regular blanket, nursing cover, weather cover, for nursing and burping. The list goes on. They are so light weight and perfect to throw in the diaper bag too. These are definitely a must!
2. Nipple Shield
- Seriously, this has been a life saver for me and probably was the sole way I could continue breastfeeding! After the first couple of days, Em wasn't latching on to one side. I had two different lactation consultants come to the hospital room to try to help and we ended up going home with a couple of the nipple shields. I didn't want to use them at first (mostly because I had no idea how helpful they could be and was determined to breastfeed the "regular" way), but after a few frustrating sessions once we got home, Zach suggested I try using them again. Such a relief! Not only did they save me from some major pain, but Em took to them very well and it made nursing so much more manageable. If you are having trouble, try these! So helpful!
- We have both and waited until after Em came before buying since I wasn't really sure if we would need them. We got the Rock 'N Play
too, to use as a bassinet in our room for her to sleep in, but the swing and bouncer have been life savers as well. If you ever want to put the baby down so you can oh, I don't know, go to the bathroom or take a shower (ha!) then these are a must. The swing is great for her naps, but also has the fun mobile and even plays music to keep her stimulated too. The bouncer is awesome because it is mobile. It's different from the Rock 'N Play because it has the mobile with fun animals and colors, so she can interact with it (or is starting to as she gets older and more active).
4. Diaper Genie
- Again, wasn't sure we would need or actually use this since I'd heard some mixed reviews, but I love it! It's so nice to have this little garbage can right next to the changing pad that locks in all the smell (and there is some smell
). When you empty it out it also makes the diapers super compact so it takes up less space in the outside garbage can by compacting everything.
5. Baby Nursing App
- This has been so awesome - I use it to keep track of everything, most importantly diaper changes and nursing schedule. I'm constantly referring to it to check when I last nursed and what side I left off on. You can also track immunizations, bottle feedings, pumping, baths, doctor's appointments, medications, measurements and solids. I've used every feature except the solids so far and for the $5 price tag it was SO worth it. It's probably my most used app now and has helped me tremendously to stay on top of the most important things for baby!
That's it! Just a few things that have definitely worked for me so far that I thought I would share. I wasn't paid or anything, just wanted to share my experience in case it could help make it easier for someone else!
Labels: Baby, Life, Products