Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Craft Day - David, Mitts and El Rudolpho


A while back, my friends Kim, Shan and I had Craft Day! Craft Day is a tradition we started a few years back where we get together and do crafty things. We've done Christmas crafts and Halloween crafts in the past, but this time there was a theme of spray paint. Kim spray painted her $20 David head (see her blog post all about it here) and I worked on my $1 reindeer from Goodwill. Shan brought her mitts (she was knitting) and they turned out great! I actually used the pattern on a couple knitting projects lately...

Here's Kim's David that she scored when we went to Pacific Galleries a few months back. It was a big debate between aqua or yellow. I think she made the right choice!

As for El Rudolpho, I got him at Goodwill for a dollar. Not too shabby. He was covered in some lovely mod podge Christmas fabric. Now I love me some Christmas, but I was not digging the fabric look.

The mod podged fabric had some wrinkles, but I didn't mind and decided to just spray paint over it. Unfortunately I learned the hard way to use primer! Luckily Kim let me borrow some of her white. :) You can see how the red isn't covering as well without primer.

You can also see that it looked like a war zone out there. After some primer, El Rudolpho was doing much better. The flat Rustoleum enamel in white worked really well as primer. Overall I think I did 2-3 coats of red, then two coats of primer, then 2-3 more coats of red (obviously if I did this next time I would leave out the first couple coats of red and start with primer:). 


I love how El Rudolpho turned out and can't wait to decorate with him for Christmas! You can definitely see the fabric outlines through the paint, but I actually like it. It looks more like a paper mache reindeer instead of just flat and smooth. 

Total project cost: Less than $5! Booyah!

For some reason I'm really into reindeers this year... so get ready for another reindeer DIY coming up!

PS I got a Facebook page for my blog! Check it out and like me to follow my posts!

3 comments:

  1. woohoo! love us :) and your facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information that you provided was thorough and helpful. I will have to share your article with others.

    free poster

    ReplyDelete
  3. The information that you provided was thorough and helpful. I will have to share your article with others.

    free poster

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...