Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, May 21, 2012

My Biggest Project Yet...

Dude, I'm excited for this one. I mentioned a week ago (in this post) that I was headed to Portland with my mom to visit my grandma and grandpa and go to this awesome fabric store - Fabric Depot. Unfortunately, my grandma got sick so we couldn't go. Fortunately, she is now feeling better so we went down there yesterday! 

Believe me, I was pumped. After lunch with grams and gramps (they are 87 and 91 and still kicking it!), we went straight to Fabric Depot and proceeded to spend about two hours getting lost in the store. It is a huge warehouse filled with every fabric, notion, supply, etc. you could ever want for a sewing project. It's pretty amazing. Their prices aren't great (a little spendy), but they usually have some pretty good deals (thank goodness!). My mom gave me a 40% off coupon which helped out a lot and there was a store-wide 30% off sale going on yesterday.

We were definitely feeling overwhelmed because there are so many choices. Rows and rows of beautiful and colorful fabric. I have to say, fabric stores are like bookstores for me. I could spend literally a whole day in a book store. For some reason just being around all those books makes me want to read more and find new books and look at books and smell books and just love books. I think you get the picture... I guess I just get inspired. It's the same for fabric stores... so many choices, I want to see each and every one so I don't miss anything. And I don't get bored. Hours I tell ya. Hours.

So yesterday I was on a mission for some upholstery fabric for my little wingback chair. They have a great selection and it took me a long while to decide. Well, actually it didn't take me too long to decide on the pattern I loved, but it did take me a while to get up the nerve to spend a good chunk of money on a lot of fabric (more on that later). Here's some of the pretty patterns I was scoping out before I found my favorite. 

I really liked the yellow, but not for my chair - I can't imagine trying to line up the stripes.

This was actually outdoor fabric, but I loved the colorful take on chevron.

I liked the second one down, which in person was more of a deep navy.


Another front runner was the third down - yellow + gray ikat.

These had a little too much orange for me. They would be perfect for some outdoor furniture though!

These pinks were some of my favorites, but not for our living room. Any All of these would be amazing for a little girl's room! Someday...
OK, are you ready? Some of you already saw my fabric yesterday (thanks for the help deciding!). Here she is.
I love it! It's just what I was looking for. A big bold colorful pattern. This pattern fits perfectly in with our existing living room. It has the navy and aqua (I'm pretty much obsessed with that color palette right now) and then adds a little with the greens and gray. The pattern is big, which I think will be fine even though it's going on a chair. I like that the pattern doesn't have definite lines (so I won't have to match anything up). I can just use whatever part I can and I think it will still look great. 

I'm like fat-kid-loves-fabric excited here people! I was apprehensive at first, and it took me a long time to finally decide on this one and then get up enough nerve to spend the money. Mainly because there are just so many choices, but mostly because it is a lot of money to spend on fabric! 

Here's the cost breakdown: 
Five yards (I used this guide to figure out how many yards to buy)
@ $32.99/yard (I wouldn't have bought this fabric without the 40% off - ouch!)
= $164.95
Less 40% discount
= $98.97 plus zero tax! Yay Oregon! 
So that's a whopping savings of $65.98!!! I'll take it!

Here's a better picture of the full roll. It looks a lot more green in this picture, but at least you can see how big the pattern is. The above photo is more true to what the colors look like. 
In case you forgot, here's the wing back lady. I think they'll make a perfect pair.
Now that the fabric is purchased, the real fun begins... time to figure out how to get this little lady reupholstered. This is by far the biggest project I've taken on so far, but I'm excited for the challenge and of course, to see the end result. Don't worry, I'll keep you posted every step of the way!

How was your weekend? Tackle any reupholstering lately? What about other big projects that kind of scare you and excite you at the same time?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...