Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 Goals


Now that 2012 is upon us, I've been thinking about some of the things I want to accomplish this year. A couple big things, followed by a few personal goals. In the past, I haven't been great at keeping my resolutions... but this year will be different! (Don't be fooled, I say that every year.) Either way, it always feels good to set up something to look forward to and strive for. So, here are mine!


Save Money and Travel // In 2011, we traveled a lot, which I loved. I guess I never realized how much I loved it until recently. It's thrilling for me to be able to go someplace new and experience new cultures and people and places, especially places with so much history. It baffles me how long other cities have been around (read: European cities), and makes me long to see more since we don't see that a lot in the US. 

I wish our travel itinerary could be the same for 2012, but unfortunately traveling requires money, and that is something we need to build back up in the Kane household. After moving across the country twice and traveling over to Europe all within a year, our pocketbooks are hurting. Hurting, I tell ya! 

So... my goal for 2012 is not to give up traveling, but to do both of course! Save money while still traveling. My definition of traveling will just have to change a bit. Living in Arizona opened my eyes to how much we really haven't seen of Washington. Since we were temporary residents of AZ, we made it a point to get out and see as much of AZ as we could in the short time we were there.

Now, I want to do that with Washington. I want to take day trips to see some of the places that I have heard of, but have never been to. Because when you live somewhere, you don't really get around to the touristy places you would if you were just visiting. There is so much to see and do in Washington and I can't wait to get started (and share with all of you along the way, of course). Here's some of my list of places to see in WA (any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!):

Mount Rainier
Forks (yes, because of Twilight - I'm not ashamed!)
San Juan Islands
Staircase
Explore more of the Peninsula
Snoqualmie Falls
Alki Beach
Leavenworth

Especially since most of the places we can see are within driving distance and can be turned in to a little day trip, it makes it easier on the 'ol checkbook (besides the obvious gas money). Plus, we can bring Buster! You know he loves to get out there and explore. 

Now for the saving part. We are re-instating the spending diet as of January 1. Remember the spending diet? From all the way back here? This worked so well for us (especially during busy season when I was working so much) that I am actually excited to start it up again. We're each getting $100 cash for the month and that is our discretionary money to spend on whatever we want. Other than that, it's just bills, food, and gas, then the rest is to savings! Time to build that savings back up so we can one day buy a house, go back to Europe, and someday have lots and lots of babies.

Get Crafty // Lately, I've been getting my stride back in the craftsy department. It's so much fun! And now with my Pinterest addiction (follow me!) it's easier than ever to gain some inspiration. I have a lot of ideas, now it's just finding the time to execute them!

In the baking department, I also want to push myself more to try new recipes. This is sometimes hard for me because I like making the good old classics (they just taste so good!), but this year I'm going to push myself harder to think outside the box.

Be Thankful // I also want to slow down a bit and just be thankful for what is around me. I got a fancy new journal for Christmas (thanks, Jenn!) so I plan on using that to record my thankfulness (kind of like my own version of this).

Picture-a-Day (or maybe, a-Week) // This is a hefty one. I might be a little too ambitious to do a picture-a-day, but I think it sounds like fun! We'll see how long it lasts, but I definitely want to do at least a picture-a-week. Won't it be interesting to look back at the end of the year and have a record of something for each day?

Along with this one, I also want to get better at taking pictures. I'm sure most of my daily pics will be with my iPhone (and instagram-ed), but I have a big DSLR camera that my dad handed down to me and I have yet to figure out how to use it on another setting than Manual.

The Usual // And then there's the usual players. The Get Healthy, the Eat Right, the Stop Biting my Nails, and all that stuff. Yes, I want to do those things, but if I don't, that's OK too. 

Well, there they are. My goals for 2012. I'm really excited about the first two. I can't wait to get out there and start exploring! What about you guys? What are your goals/resolutions/wishes/dreams for 2012?

Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...