Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, April 15, 2011

Happy Emancipation Day, Washington, D.C.

AKA Happy (should be) Tax Day! Today is usually the day when I get my life back. The hubs gets his wife back. Buster gets his momma back. I get to see friends again. Oh, glorious April 15th! But...

Not this year. This year, April 15th falls on Emancipation Day (Observed) - a holiday only observed by Washington, D.C. The actual holiday is on April 16th, but since that is on a Saturday it got pushed to the 15th, thus, pushing the tax deadline to April 18th. Thank you, Emancipation Day, for taking one more of my weekends away from me.

Fun Fact: Emancipation Day celebrates, yup, you guessed it, the day President Abraham Lincoln signed the Compensated Emancipation Act to release slaves from forced labor about 9 months before he issued the Emancipation Proclamation. It became a national holiday in 2005 (bet you didn't think you'd get a history lesson today!).

Hopefully I won't have to work this weekend, but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's easier on my mental health if I just assume I do and then maybe, possibly I will get a happy surprise. We'll just have to wait and see what special surprises pop up!

I hope you all have your taxes in and aren't running to your accountant today to get them done! Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...